For the e-commerce businesses amongst our readers – here’s a new date to put in your diary – Amazon Prime Day.
According to Amazon, Prime Day 2018 is a date to go down in history for the retail giant. The 36-hour sale that took place on 16th – 17th July hit the record books as Amazon’s biggest blockbuster sale ever!
Promoted as the summertime version of Black Friday, Amazon Prime day ended up being the biggest shopping event of the year.
Available exclusively for Amazon Prime subscribers (or those on a free trial for the service), more than 100 million products were sold during this year’s event.
Best-selling products worldwide were the Fire TV Stick and the Alexa Voice Remote and Echo Dot – making it also the biggest shopping event for Amazon devices.
Amazon played a clever online strategy – not only ensuring these offers were exclusively available on the Amazon website, but also releasing bargains throughout the event.
Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon also had a bumper day – far exceeding $1 billion in sales.
Global Highlights from Prime Day 2018
- A record number of Prime members shopped across 17 countries.
- Amazon welcomed more new Prime members on July 16 than any previous day in Amazon history.
- Customers purchased millions of Fire TV devices on Amazon globally during Prime Day.
- Prime Day was the biggest event ever for Echo devices with screens, Echo Show and Echo Spot.
- Customers purchased more than five million items in each of the following categories: Toys, Beauty products, PCs and computer accessories, Apparel and Kitchen products.
- Prime Day was the best event ever for Amazon devices for kids, including Echo Dot Kids Edition, Fire 7 Kids Edition tablet and Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet.
- July 16 was the best day ever for Fire TV devices and Kindle e-readers on Amazon globally.
- For the first time, members in Australia, Singapore, the Netherlands and Luxembourg participated in Prime Day.
- Millions of customers around the world streamed Unboxing Prime Day events including the Amazon Music concert with Ariana Grande as well as the PUBG Squad Showdown hosted by Twitch Prime with a performance by deadmau5.
Look out for Amazon Prime Day 2019
With Prime Day 2018 far exceeding the expectations of Amazon and its sellers (some of whom saw sales up more than 400% on a typical day) you can be sure it will become an annual shopping event.