We’re on the look out for a Web Developer to join our Dorchester team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious and hardworking individual to put their coding skills to use, and to make their mark in a growing digital agency.
As a Website Developer you will join our development team working on a range of back and front-end tasks whilst also working closely with our colleagues in Marketing – don’t worry they are a friendly bunch!
This role is suited to someone who has recently completed their degree in an IT related discipline, or who has some commercial experience in web development.
Do You Fit the Bill?
You should have proficient skills in WordPress, CSS, PHP, HTML, MySQL and Photoshop, plus a good understanding of SEO would be advantageous.
We’re an agency that takes a mobile first approach to design, so you must have experience of building adaptable, efficient code. You should be able to code from scratch without relying on frameworks.*
We’re proud to say, “We don’t do templates!” Each project is approached from a fresh perspective so every project you work on will be unique, individual and interesting – not just repeating the same old, same old.
You must LOVE coding and problem solving. The team here is passionate about identifying solutions to problems. We actively encourage new ideas and forward thinking; we are looking for someone who will always look to the future, plan and implement them. In return you will receive freedom to try new ideas and innovate! We are currently working on a number of very cool app and voice projects – so exciting times ahead.
Ideally you will have a couple of years professional experience as a Website Developer under your belt but greatness and passion comes first so don’t be shy if you have less than 2 years experience.
We are a small and busy agency, so you’ll be ready to muck-in with the rest of the team to get things done.
*Note – we will ask for examples of your work (with source code) as part of the recruitment process.
As far as web developer skills are concerned we do have a few requirements. If you can tick off the majority of the list – fantastic! However, if you don’t have all of the things we’re looking for – don’t worry it’s your approach and commitment that will also help us succeed as an agency.
Some key elements we are looking for:
HTML and CSS
- You should consider yourself an expert in up to date HTML and CSS.
- You should be able to create responsive layouts from scratch instead of relying on a framework.
- You should understand that there are differences across browsers, and be familiar with keeping those differences under control.
- Most of our projects are built using WordPress. You should therefore be able to build a WordPress theme from absolute scratch without relying on a pre-built theme, framework or too many plugins.
- Experience of using popular plugins such as Advanced Custom Fields & Gravity Forms is a must. However, we try and use as few plugins as we can to create lean, fast themes that have fewer points of weakness.
- Knowledge of WooCommerce would also be helpful.
- Although you are not required to be an expert programmer, you should be able to look at some code and be able to work out what it does. (Just copying and pasting code without understanding can lead to difficulties in identifying problems and lack of optimisation).
Apache and .htaccess
- Understanding the sorts of things that are possible with an Apache-style server and the .htaccess file is helpful.
- There is no need to know it all off by heart – but knowing when a problem may have been caused by a server setting is a bonus.
Hosting and DNS
- Being able to move a website from one server to another without causing a client downtime is very important.
- Understanding of DNS and pointing different services when needed.
- It is essential that you are able to research and troubleshoot problems using Google! This one sounds obvious, but being able to quickly identify good solutions to a searched problem is very important.
Neatness and consistency
- Commenting your code is helpful.
- Have a consistent coding style is useful – so if another member of the development team looks at your code they should be able to follow it easily.
- We have several projects that use API integration and therefore experience of working with APIs would be useful but not essential.
- Full-time, 9.00am-5.00pm (37.5 per week), Monday-Friday
- A super friendly team
- Training and development opportunities
- Pension Scheme
- Relaxed dress code
- Generous holiday allowance
- Rapidly growing agency with some awesome clients
- Negotiable dependent on skills and experience
- Poundbury, Dorchester, Dorset
- Web developer experience: 2 years (professional)
HOW TO APPLY
You’ll see from our website that we’re a small team – which means you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects. Our clients love us, so personality is just as important as your skill set at Key Digital!
We’ve got exciting times ahead with many great projects that need bringing to life – so if you like what you see above please get in touch by emailing a copy of your CV and a covering letter telling us how you fit the bill.
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org