This morning we hosted a free social media webinar to assist local businesses in Dorchester with advice for communicating with customers on lockdown. We were joined by business owners from a range of industries. Each of them are faced with individual challenges and many have been forced to make temporary shop closures. As a result, communicating with customers and communities through social media has become more important than ever.
The webinar covered:
- Social media overview – keeping connected with your customers and community
- Social media messaging – using it in the right way during Coronavirus
- Overview of the social platforms – how to choose where you focus your efforts
- Tools that can help manage your social media
- Case studies – examples of small businesses doing it well
Social media on lockdown
On lockdown, social media has quickly become the go-to place for information. Some of the emerging trends such as mobile-first technology, privacy and social media influencers have become less prominent. With a shift towards good news and local stories from unlikely hero’s being received more favourably – Captain Tom is a prime example.
In the webinar we discussed how the surge in people working from home and increase in social media engagement are adding to what is a crowded space. How can we avoid adding to the noise and engage with the local community to offer help in a time of crisis?
Some of the points covered that can be immediately put into action on social media were:
- Build a plan based on what we know now, what we know in the short, mid and long term future
- A chance to get creative and stand out- what are the services of your business you can offer virtually?
- Take time to review your messaging – customers will want to hear from you
- DON’T stop posting social media updates or sending emails, even though you may be temporarily closed
- Give people what they need most – information, reassurance & connection.
Free Social Media Webinar
We’d like to thank everyone who joined us during the social media webinar today, let’s do it again sometime! If you’d like to take a look at the webinar – download our free webinar here.